In recent years, sleep apnea has been added to the list of treatable mortality risk factors. Research suggest that untreated sleep apnea increases stroke risk by four times.
In fact, an estimated one in fifteen adults have sleep apnea, and most go undiagnosed until the problem becomes moderate or severe. Due to the significance of this alarming statistic and the large numbers of patients affected, the dentists here at Rundle Dental decided to create a dedicated treatment program to serve our patients.
Symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Loud snoring
- Observed episodes of breathing cessation during sleep
- Abrupt awakenings accompanied by gasping or choking
- Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Morning headache
- Difficulty concentrating during the day
- Experiencing mood changes, such as depression or irritability
- High blood pressure
- Nighttime sweating
- Decreased libido
Diagnosis and treatment begins with a consultation with your dentist or physician, and then a test called a polysomnography. For some patients, the test can be done at home.
To arrange your consultation, call 587-317-9903 or click here.