We are now resuming the majority of our services. Learn More.
Call Us Today! (587) 317‑9903 | North East Calgary Dentist – 3B-3735 Rundlehorn Dr NE
3B-3735 Rundlehorn Dr NE,
Calgary, AB, T1Y 2K1
How to Make Your Smile Brighter and Healthier
How to make your smile brighter?
First, let’s about reasons our teeth lose their sparkle. Teeth change colour due to various reasons. And no matter how careful you are, teeth will always be exposed to stain. Aging, for instance, happens naturally and is one known cause of teeth discolouration.
Some stains are easier to address while some are more persistent. Depending on the severity of the stain, you can choose between products available over the counter or options available to you at your dental office.
Why Teeth Turn Yellow
Coffee and tea are always a delight. However, they can leave stains on your tooth enamel, making it look yellow.
Teeth are not naturally bright. However, more people prefer their smile to be as white as possible. With thick enamel, your smile looks brighter. However, as this outer shell gets thinner overtime, the darker layer underneath it called dentin becomes more visible. This causes the teeth to appear yellow.
Apart from drinks, the food you eat may also contribute to the stains on your teeth. Acidic food may cause the enamel to erode. When this happens, the dentin becomes more visible. Saliva works hard to fight off harmful acids but it can only do so much, especially for people with dry mouth.
Tips for a Brighter, Healthier Smile
- Beware of your beverages. You need not stay away from coffee or fruit juice altogether. However, make it a habit to drink water afterward. This will help wash out food debris that may otherwise form into destructive acids and discolour your teeth.
- Look into dental whitening kits. Self-administered teeth whitening kits are safe long as you use them the right way. You may experience tooth sensitivity but this shouldn’t last long. If it persists, let your dentist know.
- Switch to whitening toothpaste. Over the counter products, such as sugarless gums and whitening toothpaste, are considered as surface whiteners. They can help remove staining substances on the tooth surface before they have a chance to stain your enamel.
- Choose snacks that encourage saliva flow. Exchange the usual sweet treats you’re having for snacks with teeth-friendly choices. Apples, carrots, celeries are examples of food options that help with teeth cleaning too. These snacks are also rich in water content hence promoting saliva flow in the mouth.
- Take smoking out of your system. Cigarettes and tobacco leave stains on your teeth too. They can also cause foul-smelling breath and gum disease. Seek support from your loved ones if you’re ready to you quit smoking. You can also reach out to your dentist for professional help.
- See about getting cosmetic dental work done. If the surface whiteners and home whitening kits don’t give you results you want, check out cosmetic teeth whitening options. Ask your dentist about bleaching techniques available at their dental office. Inquire too about the possibility of applying veneers.
- Follow up sports drinks with water. They feel refreshing especially when served cold. However, sports drinks can also contribute to stains on your teeth. Make sure to drink water after enjoying your energy drink. Better yet, drink less of this colourful beverage and reach for more water instead.
- Commit to your dental care routine. Your teeth will collect food debris and come across substances that make them appear less appealing. Hence, it’s important to stay religious about brushing and flossing. When you commit to these simple everyday habits, you also avoid the need for complex treatments down the road.
Take note of these tips on how to make your smile brighter and healthier for a lifetime. Contact us today at Rundle Dental for more dental whitening options.
Doctors may not be available during all hours
Doctors hours may vary
Hours are subject to change without notice